Battle of Minisink Commemoration Cancelled
Park Remains Open, Including Area of Actual Battle
The annual commemoration of the Battle of Minisink has been cancelled for 2020.
The commemoration, typically held on the Saturday afternoon closest to the actual day of the battle – July 22, had been scheduled for July 18 this year, the 241st anniversary of the battle. For several years now it has been a collaborative effort between the Sullivan County Historian, the County Parks and Recreation Department, the non-profit history education group The Delaware Company, and the Sullivan County Historical Society.
Sullivan County Historian John Conway says the decision to cancel the commemoration came after considerable discussion among the organizers, and consultation with several of the groups that are part of the annual event, including the veterans and some chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
“After all was said and done, it was agreed that the prudent thing to do was to cancel the commemoration,” Conway explains. “Those familiar with the history of the battle will no doubt recall that things didn’t turn out too well for the militia that day largely because the voices of bravado overcame those of caution. We decided not to make the same mistake.”
Conway suggests that those who wish to pay tribute to the fallen this year visit the Battleground on their own and do so privately.
The Minisink Battleground Park, where the commemoration takes place each year, is located at 58 County Road 168, just off NYS Route 97, about four miles north of Barryville. The park is owned and operated by Sullivan County, and although the park and trails are open, the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in several restrictions. Picnic areas, the Tusten Pavilion, and restrooms remain closed. Groups greater than 10 people are prohibited, and social distancing is required (Visitors must stay at least six feet apart at all times.).